Nobody likes a cold caller or an in-your-face salesman that doesn’t let you get away. When it comes to investing in a product we want choices. We like to build trust and find out how it works. In a world where marketers can easily put their product in front of you on Facebook, through Google or pop into your inbox – the “hard sell” can quickly be deleted and ignored. To promote a new service or product, we need to engage, show you’re an expert and provide value. And – that’s why content marketing is key.
Here’s How Content Marketing Will Grow Your Business
We love getting as much as we can for our money. And – as a species, we LOVE freebies! And, that’s why offering free downloadable guides and resources work so well. You’re giving your potential client much more than a product or a service. You are proving that you are the solution to their problems.
If your audience has spent time reading your blog or chosen to download a guide, they know you know what you’re talking about. And before getting told about your new product or service, they trust your brand.
Enhance your SEO
In addition to building trust, content marketing ticks all of the SEO boxes too.
Say goodbye to the‘black hat’ SEO days.
Google now sees good, helpful SEO optimized content as the #1 ranking factor your website. The more helpful content you publish on your website, the more search engines indexes you.
And – the more your content is found on a search engine, the more chance you’ll have of connecting with a potential client.
Engage with your audience + start conversations
By default, we engage with people and emotions. Showing our personality through the content we post on social media, blog posts, emails, online forums – we build meaningful relationships. Our ability to interact is what builds customer loyalty and wins a sale.
Become an expert
We’ve touched on how we need trust to make a purchase.
If you’re making a claim that you’re social media services will increase sales. You’ve gotta give evidence for that skill set. Through your content marketing you can demonstrate your ability to solve problems. You can feature case studies and prove your products/services are worth investing in by posting testimonials.
Using a combination of content marketing strategies you can provide rich information that’ll build your authority and put you ahead of your competitors.
To gain exposure and build as much hype around your product launch as possible, here are a few ideas to connect with your audience and get your name out there:
- Get Blogging!
Your blog should be your first point of call. As well as boosting your SEO, your blog posts will be the platform for the rest of your content marketing to build on.
Your blog posts don’t need to explain your new product or service, they just need to include keywords, spark interest and get your readers engaged with the advice you are publishing.
Brainstorm blog post ideas around the topic of your product/service that’ll be published in the six weeks prior, during and after your launch following this rough timeline and structure:
Blog Post 1: 2 weeks prior offering a free content upgrade to collect email addresses (after launch – update this post with banner images and product/service details)
Blog Post 2: 1 week before (after launch – update this post with banner images and product/service details)
Blog Post 3: On the day of launch offering a free guide based around the theme of your product/service to build your email subscribers
Blog Post 4: 1 week after launch
Blog Post 5: 2 weeks after launch including a free worksheet based on the theme of your product/service
Blog Post 6: 3 weeks after launch
- Create Opt-In Freebies to Embed into Your Blog Posts
As detailed above, you’ll see that we recommend creating free downloads to offer to your readers in Blog Posts 1, 3 and 5. These ‘lead magnets’ will get people signing up to your mailing list so you can get to work on priming your audience for your product launch.
Follow our guide to designing an email sign-up form that can be embedded into your blog posts so you can automatically send out your freebie.
- Set up an Email Sequence that’ll be sent to Your Freebie Downloaders & Mailing List
Email marketing is a great way to prime your audience for a service or product launch.
- Brainstorm + write an email sequence of around 6 emails.
- Send out 2 emails before launching.
- And – send your mailing list 4 emails on or after the launch.
Here’s an example of an email sequence to your mailing list or after your freebie is sent out:
- Advice surrounding the theme of your product/service.
- Show how you/your business benefited from your product/service – the more personal the better – it’ll show what you’ve learnt from your journey and help your audience connect with you.
- Product launch email – feature case studies, your USPs and briefly mention your product/service. You may also want to link to recent blog posts related to the topic of your product/service.
- If you’re planning a webinar or Q&A on Periscope – send an email out to promote what they’ll learn from you & mention what you’re clients say.
- Pitch your product/service – mentioning an exclusive discount to email subscribers.
- Mention that it’s the last 24 hours of your discount and briefly go over the benefits of your product/service.
- Promote Your Freebies on Facebook Ads
Everybody loves a free gift.
As well as creating a post to promote your product/service launch, use Facebook Ads to promote your free downloadable guides.
People are more likely to trust a business that offers them free information in place of an advert of a service you’re offering.
In your Facebook advert, use your email sign-up URL to send out the freebie to your audience. You can find out how to find the email sign-up page URL in our How to Create an Email Newsletter Guide.
By creating a Facebook Ad, you can hit your demographic, offer a freebie to provide valuable helpful content that’ll show off your expertise and collect email addresses to add to your mailing list.
Through your mailing list you can start conversations with your potential customers, promote your recent content in your email newsletter and hopefully sell to them further down the line.
- Facebook, Twitter + LinkedIn Posts
Write posts to direct traffic your blog posts and your new product/service for each social media network. For each link we recommend writing:
4x Twitter Posts
2 x Facebook Posts
1x LinkedIn Post
If you’re a member of a Facebook or LinkedIn group, post your content in places where it will be of most use.
- Guest Blog!
An amazing way to reach your target audience AND improve your website’s SEO is by guest blogging. Here’s how to promote your product/service through guest blogging:
- Firstly, research businesses/blogs/websites which has a similar target audience to yours.
- Email them to see whether they accept guest posts.
- Brainstorm blog post ideas surrounding the theme of your product/service.
- Arrange to publish your guest blog around on or after your product/service launch.
Find out why publishing content on sites is useful your website’s SEO in our article: A Beginner’s Guide to SEO.
- Upload Images to Instagram and Pinterest to Promote Every Blog Post
Create a pinworthy image for every blog post you create. Pin this to your boards + shared boards to get as much traffic as possible.
On Instagram, publish images featuring a question that relates to the content of your blog post. By posting these images to your Instagram with relevant hashtags you can hopefully kickstart a conversation with your potential audience.
- Lead a Q+A And/Or Tutorial on Periscope
An amazing way to show your expertise and connect with your potential clients is by using Periscope. Here you can host a livestream of a tutorial or Q+A related to your product or service.
What’s best is that your audience can interact with you and other watchers in the chat running at the same time as your live stream. Unlike educating your audience through a blog post, Periscope allows you to connect with your audience as well as your audience engaging with you.
You can briefly mention the benefits of your product/service and direct watchers to your website to find out more.
New to Periscope? Find out all you need to know in our Beginner’s Guide to Periscope blog post.
- Host a Webinar
Webinars are an awesome platform for generating revenue – they’re becoming increasingly popular too! Here are a few ideas for your webinar:
- Think of one of your FAQs or what your potential client would like to learn from you. Use this idea for the basis of your webinar.
- You can host the same webinar 2 or 3 times.
- Pitch your product/service at the end of the webinar.
Questions? Comments? Leave them below or reach out to us on Twitter! We love to engage!