(Yes, It’s possible and yes, you’re overthinking it)
So a few weeks ago, we had a great conversation about automation with a couple of our friends on Twitter, Phil Glutting and Charlene Kingston. Since we noticed that this is a popular topic among small business owners and new marketers, we decided to share with you.
Automation is a great way to multitask if you’re very busy and want to establish a social media presence without having to be actively posting. However, Auto DMs are plaguing Twitter and absent tweeters completely contradict the purpose of SOCIAL media. When we asked Phil and Charlene their thoughts on the matter, we were really enlightened by the response. Check out the whole conversation below and on storify for the full effect.
Here are a few quick tips on making your automation more effective that we were able to pull from the conversation:
- Just stop with the Auto DMs! @ replies are more personal and easier to start conversations with. You can even automate the @ replies with many of the Twitter tools available.
- Follow up your @ reply with a greeting, don’t use the message to sell yourself. Just be courteous and try to begin relationship building.
- If you must automate try this method: Schedule a few tweets to be posted during the day and add to the conversation throughout the day in real time .
- As you grow, modify your strategy. What worked with 1500 followers will not work with 11500.
- Always do what makes your community interaction better, not what’s easier for you.
What have your experiences been with automation? Are you pro or anti automation? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below or @ us on twitter!